Volkswagen Beetle – 1939 – The people’s car – 21 Million sold
In 1933, Adolf Hitler of Germany, assigned Ferdinand Porsche to design a basic vehicle; capable of transporting two adults and two children at 100 km/hr and the “People’s Car” should be available for the German Citizen for 1000 Marks(or Rs. 935) about the price of a Motorcycle. The Volkswagen Beetle was built and presented to Hitler in 1938.
- The first car, with an engine in the rear above the driving wheel, to increase traction, so as to easily go on desert sand and ice
- The car was designed as simple as possible mechanically and had a cute and friendly face
- Engine was air-cooled, so no costly radiator required and also no antifreeze needed
- It has unique low cost torsion bar front suspension, patented by Porsche
- It was the only car built over many years and still in production